INDIAN E-VISA ONLINE APPLICATION
December 19, 2019
India is one of those countries I will keep on coming back to; it is very culturally distinct, the cuisine is one of the best, if not the best in the world, and the locals are some of the friendliest I have met in my travels. So what’s not to love? Luckily, visiting it been made easier thanks to the Indian E-visa scheme which started last 2015. This eliminates the need to go to the embassy and submit multiple documents just to enter the country, and now you can apply for it at the comforts of your home.
I visited India twice – the first time was in 2015 and again last 2018, and I applied for the E-visa on both occasions. It is easy, hassle-free, and provides you with 90 days to discover this one of a kind country.
INDIAN E-VISA VS INDIAN VISA
Indian E-Visa is indeed a piece of cake to acquire. Nevertheless, it has its limits; you can only apply for an e-visa if your stay in India will be 90 days or less. If you plan to stay more, you need to apply for the standard Indian visa at the Indian Embassy. The address in Manila is:
Embassy of India
2190, Paraiso Street, Dasmarinas Village,
Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Telephone: 0063-2-88430101-02 ; 0063-2-88434-048
And also, you can only enter India at 28 designated airports and 5 seaports with the e-visa. If you will be entering an airport not listed in the link, then you need a standard visa.
- 28 designated Airports– Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Portblair, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi & Vishakhapatnam
- 5 designated seaports – Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai, Chennai
Finally, citizens of 166 nationalities are eligible to get the e-visa. However, if your parents or grandparents had lived or were born in Pakistan, then you are not eligible and must apply for a regular visa.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN INDIAN E-VISA
Here are the steps you need to follow to apply for an Indian E-visa:
- Enter the official Indian e-visa online website and fill out the required basic information. Make sure that all the data you input is correct and consistent to avoid denial. You also need to type NA on unapplicable tabs – ex. we don’t have a national ID in the Philippines, so in that case, just put NA.
- Once you furnish all the required information, you need to upload a copy of your recent face picture. They only accept JPEG format and 350 x 350 dimensions with a white background. There is a risk of visa denial if you don’t follow the required specifications so be careful.
- Upload a copy of your passport page. It should be in PDF format and not more than 1MB.
- Pay the e-visa fee. The amount is dependent on your nationality plus a 2.5% credit card fee. For the amount, check this link.
- Wait for the approval of the visa. Mine arrived in less than 24 hours.
THINGS TO TAKE NOTE OF WHEN APPLYING FOR AN INDIAN E-VISA
- You can apply as early as 3 months in advance, so if your plans are already set in stone, then apply start applying for the visa as early as possible.
- Your passport should have 6 months of validity to enter India.
- Bring an outbound ticket and proof of funds to show the immigration officers.
- You need to enter at the designated airport that you indicated at the e-visa application. If ever you change your port of entry, then you may need to apply for a new e-visa.
- You can only attempt to pay your visa application 3 times. Your application will be blocked on the 4th attempt and you will have to start over again.
JUST TAKE NOTE THAT E-VISA RULE CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME, SO BE SURE TO CHECK IT BEFORE APPLYING FOR AN INDIAN E-VISA!